Monday, October 24, 2011

Halloween Mantel


I decorated our mantel for Halloween for the first time this year and had so much fun! Having kids has made me get more into Halloween and I'm loving it!! Here is the finished product. (It was impossible to get a good photo without the chandelier getting in the way.)




I used the lanterns I had sitting on our back porch and added a small pumpkin to them. I found the small ceramic pumpkins at Joanns on sale for a little over $1. My mom got us this great haunted house that is made out of cardboard. The assembling wasn't fun, but I love the finished product! I added some candles and candle holders that I already had. See below for the 'how to' on the pumpkin garland, and bats, and Trick or Treat garland.


Pumpkin Garland: I found these great pumpkins at Joanns (on sale of course). They have a hole punched in the stem and had a silver loop attached to them. I cut off the string, hot glued them to a black ribbon with silver sparkle detail. I spaced them about 9" apart. Then I glued on small buttons to cover the hole and make it look finished. I used an odd number of pumpkins (9) so I could use one to string up the center and have it even on each side. I have book cases on either side of my mantel and just tied the ribbon to those. You could tape the ribbon ends up or tuck the ends under a lantern or candle holder sitting on your mantle. 



I actually put a little hot glue on my mantel to  hold the middle pumpkin up. Then, I used bats to cover the knot I made at the end of the ribbon. I found the bats at Joanns as well. They were in a package of 5 and had a hole in the top with a string loop attached. I cut off the string and again glued a cute black button on to cover the hole. I then glued them onto the ribbon. I also put some bats on the wall above the haunted house using double sided sticky tape (see first photo above). The pumpkin garland would also be cute draped across your front door!



Trick or Treat Garland: This is my favorite part of the mantel and could easily be made into a regular garland instead of put vertically on the wall like I did. I found these adorable FREE printables at The Handmade Home. I printed them on white card stock and cut them out. I taped them to ribbon at both edges of the card stock. They are spaced about 2" apart. After I completed one set of three, I laid the second set right next to the first so I wouldn't have to measure out the spacing. I left about 6" of ribbon hanging down on the bottom and cut it on an angle. I also left about 4" at the top and cut it straight across so I would have something to attack the flower to and tape to the wall.







For the flower at the top of the vertical garland, I cut two 3" strips of orange ribbon, two 3" strips of black, and four 2" strips of the black with silver detail. Using hot glue, I glued the 2 orange strips together in a cross pattern. Then added the black strips in a cross pattern at a different angle....



 


...Then, glued the black/silver ribbon strips on top of each other, making sure they lined up with the other 4 ribbons. I finished it off with a black button in the middle and glued it to the ribbon at the top of my garland. I attached the garland to the wall by taping the skinny black ribbon behind the flower to the wall. The flower covers the tape so you don't see it.









One more thing! I don't know about you, but I'm constantly stashing rubber bands in a drawer when I buy flowers, produce, etc., but don't often use them. After this project, I had an idea to use them to keep reels of ribbon from coming undone. They were a perfect fit and work great! I love finding ways to reuse!!


No comments:

Post a Comment